I think we need to rethink this whole #TacoTuesday thing and instead try something like # My Taco Is Better Than Yours Bc It's Green. Or something like that. It's still in the developmental stages.
Anyway. Here is a great way to veg up your taco, make it way more wholesome, and get your kids to eat their greens! (the ultimate mom fist-pump.)
Here's what you're gonna do... you're gonna get these ingredients:
• 1 Tbs vegetable oil
• 1 lb ground pork (because it's local, it's humanely-raised, it's got way more flavor than your beef, and if I've missed any other buzz words let me know in the comments section below ;)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Tbs chopped or grated fresh ginger root
• 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
• 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned (because I think that looks so much prettier than diced!)
• 2 cups spinach (because you can NEVA have enough green in your green taco!)
• 3 scallions, chopped (I slice up as high as I can so use even the green part!)
• Salt and pepper to taste
And then you're going to do this:
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add ground pork and cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes. Add hoisin sauce and stir until combined.
Add in the julienned red pepper and the spinach, and cook another 2 minutes.
Spoon pork into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with scallions, avocado slices, and extra hoisin, if desired.
And there you go, a super green taco! If you're looking to add more, go for it, there are plenty to choose from. Maybe even some pea sprouts, or chopped parsley or cilantro (both good detoxifiers!). You could even make a chimmichurri sauce and drizzle over. Yum yum nom nom!!
#GreenTacoTuesday (There it is, that sounds muuuuuch better!) Any tips on how to go more green with it?! I'd love to hear, as my community can only grow by sharing! Let me hear what variations you use in the comments below!