I'm all about hacks. Whatever can make life a little easier, I'm all in. (Is there a hack for raising obedient and respectful boys who always listen their mom the first time instead of the 100th time when I'm at my wits end and I'm not asking anymore but instead I'm red-faced, with steam exploding out of my ears, hands flying in all directions and I'm saying things my brain can't keep up with? That would be a worthwhile hack to employ.)
So I've got 10 hacks for you that I really think are going to help make the necessary small changes that will propel you into a momentous whirlwind that will get you creating massive change before you know it and shedding pounds!
But first, I'd like to point out that you are so much more capable than you think. This is a toughie for many of us to swallow, but it's so true, I've witnessed it a million times I tell you. You are stronger than you think. You can make massive change in your life, but you need to believe it to see it. And you need to start slowly. That's what these hacks are intended to do, to help you start slowly and gain momentum. You can do this, you just have to believe in yourself.
Ok, so... here we go!
1. Use smaller plates. When dining at home, use your salad plate instead of your big mongo dinner plate for all your meals. This will help your brain to think you're eating the perfect amount by seeing your plate all filled up!
2. Sleep well. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, your body isn't getting the proper recovery time it needs at the end of every day. Instead of taking some over-the-counter meds, try this little concoction I learned from Tim Ferriss (the 4 Hour Workweek, 4 Hour Chef, 4 Hour Body guy) for a blissful night of sleep! Take some warm water and mix in 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar and 1 Tbs raw honey. That's all! Enjoy about an hour before light's out.
3. Drink your veggies. I make a smoothie almost everyday and it's my veggie hack. I get in celery, a beet, ginger, a cup of leafy greens, and a small piece of fruit (usually a kiwi since it has high amounts of vitamin C). I also make enough for two... one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. And this is a smoothie, not a juice so I’m keeping all the fiber (because fiber helps to slim the waistline!)
4. Make eating out simple. When you're eating out, a simple hack is to order the house salad, and ask if they can throw some shrimp on there or a slice or two of grilled chicken (they'll happily do that), and that's your meal. With water. Done.
5. Eat protein at every meal. If you're a big snacker throughout the day, start eating protein at every meal. Every. Single. Meal. It will help to slow down your digestion and make you feel fuller longer. No more snacking.
6. Change your vocabulary. (Yes, this is seriously a hack.) What you say to yourself has a HUGE impact on your day. Pay attention. We all know the famous quote, "If you think you can't, then you can't. But if you think you can, then you can" or something very close to that! What you think to yourself makes all the difference. Change out a few of your go to words and see how that can transform how you see yourself and your situation.
7. Know your mantra. I'm a big, huge mantra fan. I'm always saying one to myself and my most recent one is this, "Today I commit to doing 1% more”. This little statement has my consistency rate charging through the roof. I have been the most consistent with my workouts than ever before because I can’t talk myself out of 1%. And some days 1% more is only 10 minutes. It may be small but it makes a difference!
8. Drink more water. Start your morning with warm water and lemon. I know you've heard this one a million times, so just do it already! It's good for the belly.
9. Chew your food. Like really chew it. I'm thinking 40 chews. It'll feel really weird and maybe a little gross at first, but the more you do it, the more consciously aware you become of your food. It slows down the rate that food is storming the belly, and it helps with the digestive procedure. Give your gut a little break from working so hard and chew!
10. Sniff some essential oils. For reals. Orange oils have the ability to boost your mood and reduce anxiety. Lavender has a calming effect and is also an anti-inflammatory. I mix a few drops with coconut oil and place on my palms, rub them together and then inhale and let the calming take over. It smells so nice! You can even get a little infuser and let the smell take over your bedroom which can help you to fall asleep.
There you have it my friend. 10 healthy hacks that I use that help keep me on the straight and narrow as I journey to make my life a little bit healthier each and every day!
If you have any that you use, please share with me, I'd love to learn from you! And in case you'd like to keep these hacks somewhere where you can always see them, you know I've got a little freebie for you! Download my PDF that has all these written down so you can employ a little hack when you need the help.
Looking for more strategies to help you set yourself up for weight loss success? Click here to learn my 5 strategies to achieve your fitness goals… without breaking a sweat!